Saturday, May 24, 2008

Emotions

People ask us all the time, us being adults, why do we do what we do? Or, how did we get into doing what we do? Referring to, our careers.

I would say that a number of people enjoy what they do for a living. Many enjoy their jobs, yet not the pay. Much is truer for the reverse of that statement.

I started photographing for enjoyment. I stayed with it because the emotion grabbed me.

While photographing a wedding tonight, I captured many tears and laughs on film. Often times, I myself become wrapped up in the emotional flow and become a part of the scene. This is when I find I produce my best work. It then becomes personal to me. Years later I can look at the photo and tell you exactly what was going on.

I am reminded of my first couple of years of photographing. One particular event comes to mind. While covering a Christmas party for a hospital I fell in love right then and there with capturing timeless and priceless images. Like I said, it was a Christmas party. A party for premature babies that have "graduated" the NICU. My two sons were guests at this party. There was many laughs and just everyone catching up, comparing preemie war stories and enjoying themselves. The kids got to see Santa Claus come in a big fire truck, received some gifts and the day was nearing an end.

I was sitting on the steps in front of the Christmas tree, just taking random candids and waiting for my kids. A little girl was being lead to the tree by her mother. Arms extended, she carried an ornament, bright and gorgeous longing for a residence upon that tall tree. Halting about three steps short of the tree she convinced her mother to release her guide as she proceeded to the tree the remaining steps on her own. As she neared she reached high, as if searching for the perfect spot. Up on tip-toes she stretches as far as she could and gracefully and proudly hangs that ornament right where she knew it wanted to be. Taking a moment, she steps back and stares at the tree, right where the ornament hang. It's a large shiny ornament and I can see her reflection in the ball. I quickly frame the photo and as I'm looking through my camera watching her reflection in that ball, a tear strolls down my face.

Trying to wipe it away so I can capture this beautiful moment, I am unsuccessful as many more begin to flow when I see just how proud she is.

This little girl sees just how good her ornament looks on that tree and she smiles. Smiles big. Smiles proud.

As I looked into that ball and saw her reflection, I could see how prematurity affected her. She was blind. Yet, in her heart she could see just fine.

She turned around and took a few steps to be joined in hand by her mother which lead her off.

That is one image that I will never forget. It's been years and I can still recount every single frame of that scene. The photo, well, honestly...did not come out too well. Being so teary eyed I really couldn't see what I was doing and ended up putting the camera down and just enjoying that moment in time.

I thought about that for weeks. I thought of how we all complain about our limitations always wishing we could do more, be more and have more. We often don't realize we have plenty, yet don't appreciate what we got!

It was in that moment of emotion that day I realized that photography found me, I didn't find it. Since then I have been ultimately dedicated to capturing moments just like these.

No comments: