Monday, July 7, 2008

Scandalous Business

The past weekend Lisa and I went out of town to the beach. Wow, what a great time we had! I got sunburnt like crazy though! But, that was my fault.

Anyway, while we were there, we got invited to attend one of the timeshare seminars. I'd always wanted to go, and with the trips and gifts they gave us...we had nothing to lose, other than time.

So, we attend....I wasn't very impressed with the facility at first. I later found out that the actual resort was about 200 feet down the road and very, very nice.

So, the guy is talking...or "selling". He was upfront and said, I'm going to try to sell you something. You are more than welcome to say no.

Okay, so here's the "pitch"...You buy points. Let's say you buy 30,000 points, which is what later he was trying to sell us.

Okay, so 30,000 points you get each year. You can use these for flights. The flights for 3 people, I was quoted would be roughly 5000 points.

So, that equates to 6 flights per year. Great! This takes care of my flights to see my kids each time they're out of school.

The price of the timeshare was 8500, financed it equated to about 1600 per year. So, for what I pay, or less that what I pay for one flight....I can now get 6? No way! Okay, this sounds too good to be true.

So, I get home and research. I find out, it IS too good to be true.

Actually, you can only get cash discounts on flights and on major airlines only which tend to be more expensive.

Here's how the cash discounts work:

70,000 points give you a $600 cash discount.

Where's the savings in that?

I mean, don't lie to me! I have never lied to any of my clients nor have I tried to mislead them in anyway. I am upfront and honest leading them every step of the way. For me, I see no other way to run a business and as a business owner, involved in sales, it disgusts me to see this happen. Really disgusts me.

So, if you're in Myrtle Beach, SC, don't go to Plantation Resort and don't deal with Richard Riley.
He will lie to you. I'm sure most all of them will, but that is who told us our lie. What got me the most was I was really considering this in order to see my kids and save the money for their education and other things they'll need.

The funny thing is, there were other people there that were timeshare owners, that I talked to, one owned at another resort, and they swore by it. Said it was the only way to go. To me, it just seems quite an expense.

No comments: