Sunday, May 18, 2008

Musicical Artists

Being a photographer can be a hard job. As an artist you have to show yourself as well as appeal to a certain artist. Or the audience has to interpret what you as an artist are attempting to reveal.

I am a huge music fan. I do more listening to music than most anything else like watching television . If I'm not photographing I'm listening to music or reading.

Well, the music industry is very tough, very critical and to say the least, unfair. Unfair in the sense that many talents go without ever being exposed or enjoyed by the vast public.

I am thankful for shows such as Americal Idol that help give the "nobodys" a chance. A few duds have came about imo. Rubben Studdard, Clay Aiken to name a few duds. However, even in the seasons of poo many talents have come forth that the Nation would've never heard of. Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler (debatable talent), the list goes on.

It was advertised in the first of the season that this was the best talent yet. I was quite skeptical of that claim yet have been proven wrong.

David Cook, hands down has this compeitition in the bag. David A has great talent, yet is a bit too young to handle the persona of being a celebrity. And, their talents are quite different from one another. I find Cook quite diverse and able to handle most anything thrown his way. I also appreciate the fact he has respect for the artists and knows when to keep things original and has a certain talent of knowing just how much of his own flavor to throw in. A perfect example of this is when he sang Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". Being the "rocker" that he is, many people had doubts he could pull it off. I suppose they were conditioned by previous seasons' Daughtery that would turn a song like "Amazing Grace" into something that Korn would sing. But, Cook not only pulled it off but did one helluva job. So good pretty much everywhere I look people are prediciting his win. I wish him well.

After the song I jumped on You Tube, (my favorite site) to see what else had been done with that song. After listening to Roberta Flack's version several times I came across Leona Lewis. She was, Brittain's X Factor winner. A show Simon Cowell judges in the UK much like American Idol. I found I was already familiar with her work with the song, "Bleeding Love". I searched for more of her music and located a wonderful piece titled "Footprints in the Sand". I strongly urge you to go take a listen to some of these.

No comments: